Artists Equity was founded in March 1947 by more than 160 leading American artists, including Will Barnet, Thomas Hart Benton, George Biddle, Paul Cadmus, Stuart Davis, Arthur Dove, Edward Hopper, Jacob Lawrence, Louise Nevelson and the first President Yasuo Kuniyoshi. These diverse artists were all clear on one point -- they had to band together to help one another.
We invite you to become a part of this legacy, join an impressive roster of American artist members and – most importantly – connect with other artists. Membership dues go directly toward programming to benefit artists and curators and to fund critically-engaged exhibitions.
In addition, all members enjoy the following benefits:
- Opportunity to participate in the annual juried Members Invitational exhibition at Equity Gallery (December 2017 – January 2018)
- This year's jurors:
- Eileen Jeng, an indepedent curator, writer and art consultant as well as the Operations Manager at RxArt in New York City.
- Benjamin Sutton is an art critic, journalist, and curator living in Brooklyn. He is the news editor at Hyperallergic.
- Dexter Wimberly is a curator who organizes exhibitions that explore contemporary culture, American history, economics, and power dynamics and also the Executive Director of Aljira, a Center for Contemporary Art.
- This year's jurors:
- Monthly access to Artist Salons (last Wednesday of every month)
- Next Salon October 25, 6:30 - 8 PM! RSVP
- Priority seating at workshops and events
- Exhibition proposal fee waiver
- Access to members-only online discussion forum
- Listing on Artists Equity’s website
- Listing your work on Fraemd.com, a platform that showcases artists on a global scale
- Special discounts with our partners, including:
- ArtSquare (art digitization and online storage services)
- Breather (peaceful practical space rental)
- Café Grumpy (café, bakery and roastery)
- Catercow (catering marketplace)
- The Copy Specialist (copying and printing)
- Dick Blick Art Materials (art supplies)
- LearnVest (financial planning services and resources)
- Novo Art Logistics (art shipping and logistics)
- Priori Legal (legal services)
- Specialty Signs (custom signs)
- Thelma on Clinton (New American restaurant)
- Wix (website builder)
Regular membership: $60/year || Student membership: $30/year
Checks can be sent to:
New York Artists Equity Association
c/o Equity Gallery
245 Broome Street
New York, NY 10002
Membership dues are tax-deductible and directly support Artists Equity's programming and resources for artists. Student membership is available for full-time students only; must provide proof of status.
Thank you to our partners for supporting Artists Equity!
Please visit our members-only page with your password to access discounts.
Do you have to be an artist to join? Do you have to be based in New York?
Membership is open to everyone who wants to support artists and the arts! Artists Equity was founded by artists and art patrons, and we welcome that continued partnership.
How do I become a partner or sponsor?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I get my name and website listed on Artists Equity's website?
Instructions will be sent with your membership package. The member roster can be found HERE.